Friday, July 20, 2012

Breastfeeding is Natural... If You're a Monkey.

 


By: Pamela P. (mommagram@live.com)
Every pregnancy book I forced myself to read told me that I absolutely had to breastfeed. It was a non-negotiable. It was the only way to feed your baby.

I was convinced. I’d form a bond with the baby. The baby would look lovingly into my eyes as she lapped her nourishment from my engorged breasts. I would release endorphins during the process. I would begin to feel that loving connection with my daughter—only felt through breastfeeding. It was the very life source for baby. The baby that is breastfed is healthier, gets fewer medical problems, wouldn’t develop allergies and would avoid other maladies. And on and on and on. I learned this through thick, door-stop like books and classes. Ah yes, there were classes. One of these three hour classes came replete with videos on how to properly position the baby to latch on and how to squeeze your nipple into the baby’s mouth. I learned about breast massage and nipple stimulation and hot showers. I was prepared. I took notes. I watched my videos online. I even watched one on manual expressing. I nearly puked.

My first signal something was awry with this entire breastfeeding propaganda was when the lactation consultant told me I couldn’t think to go back to work until my milk supply was established. At least 6 weeks. I told her that was not possible. I was going back after two. Come hell or high water, I was going to be back in the office. But commitment to the process and to feeding your baby what she needs is most important, the consultant told me. But, I have to go back to work. It’s not a question. Period. She pressed on: I can’t imagine you not taking time for this. You’re her mother.

I felt like a failure. With my rotund belly ready to pop, I felt like I was already going to scar the kid for life. If there was a written test on breastfeeding, I would have passed with flying colors. If there was a driving portion, I would have failed…miserably.

First, I’ve never had a deeper understanding or appreciation of my breasts as feeding mechanisms. I’ve grown up thinking of them as sex objects and not as nourishment. So, it was quite a leap of faith to convince myself that I would commit to breastfeeding. But, I did so. Really, I did. I was committed. I had bought boxes and boxes of nursing pads for my leaking breasts. I bought freezer bags so I could store my extra milk. I had the most expensive pump on the market to establish supply and to pump effectively and efficiently at work. I had nipple creams and nursing tops—in all colors. I was all set.

But then came real life. Three weeks early and after a traumatic birthing story, tootsie roll and I were having technical difficulties—severe technical difficulties. Four different lactation nurses/consultants tried to help. We dutifully and eagerly tried every position and every hold technique and every bonding ritual known to man (and women). Nothing was working. If toots would get a proper latch, there just wasn’t much milk. She’d scream. Meanwhile, I waited and waited to get engorged. I’m still waiting.

One thing was certain: I would not starve my baby. She got formula. I dealt with the stares and comments of the lactating gurus. I heard about it everywhere. Even on Facebook from the goddesses who would happily feed my baby with their extra milk. Read my lips: tootsie roll was fine on formula. I was the one who was going insane.

Tootsie wasn’t having any part of my breasts so I took to the pump to at least give her that “golden nourishment” from a bottle. I would “power” pump and pump and pump every two hours for at least two weeks. I took enough Fenugreek pills to smell like an IHOP a mile away. I drank gallons of fennel tea. I shoveled spoonfuls of oatmeal day after day. I even took prescription medication to make me produce milk. I was only making 4-5 ounces a day. That was it. Baby easily ate 20 ounces a day. It was never going to work. I was even waking up at 3-4 am to pump because that’s when your body allegedly makes some chemicals to stimulate milk production. Did you know that? Bull shit. Not my body.

I went back to work early. I dragged that heavy pump with me every day. I would pump every two hours. I made the time. It was more effort than it was worth. By the time I strapped those puppies into the pump and pumped for about 30 minutes, I maybe had half an ounce of milk. By the end of the day, I had filled one little two ounce container that would last the tootsie roll all of a few gulps. I had container upon container sitting on my countertop ready, sterilized, waiting for that supply to just “come in.” I never opened the freezer bags. I laughed every time I looked at the nursing pads. The only thing leaking were my eyes.

I would cry and cry and cry about failing at breastfeeding. Between the pumpings at work, I would scour all the websites and blogs and chats looking to find people like me. Anyone? Someone similar? What was wrong with me? What did I do wrong?

The final straw was when my precious little one no longer wanted to drink the pumped milk. She’d taste it and reject it. I would wind up dumping the milk after all the effort. That was the final nail on the coffin. That was it. I would not do this to myself. She was thriving on formula while I suffered and beat myself up over this. I was getting depressed. There was nothing wrong with her. She was a happy, bubbly, plump munchkin who happily inhaled sweet potatoes and peas and rice cereal at 3 months.

Four months after birth, I finally put that pump away. I dried up in a day.

I wish someone would have told me that breastfeeding won’t work for everyone.

I wish someone would have said that it’s okay not to breastfeed

9 comments:

  1. I am so happy that you wrote this because I agree with you 100%. Although I am only breastfeeding my baby, I wish I could incorporate formula to give me and my poor boobs a much needed break... BUT my hubby coming from a traditional Indian family won't hear of it and we end up fighting about it. It is more than ok to use formula and you should not feel like you are a failure because of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also tried to breast feed. I did about a month for each child. Ahhh, seems like just yesterday... Tears rolling down my face as the children latched on to my painfully cracked nipples. All the cream in the world couldn't help those puppies. Natalia is going to be 11 and Andrzej just turned 6, they were barley breastfed and are healthy as can be and allergy free :). Natalia ate Enfamil and Andrzej was on Similac, I hate to say it but its all the same S#*t. As long as our babies are healthy and happy, right. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pam, I love that you are feeding Tootsie "real" food already, and you aren't scared to introduce her to the good stuff. My kids were drinking chamomile and fennel tea after 1 week of birth. I started rice cereal in their bottles after a month, and zupki after 3. Both of my children slept the whole night after just a month, I swear its bc the rice cereal kept their bellies nice and full before bed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazingly written. I was just like you with my first, Pam. Everyone told me that I should breast feed. I was always leery about it for various reasons. I went to the classes all pumped (no pun intended) and ready to breast feed. Only, after the classes, it convinced me NOT to breast feed at all. Completely opposite effect of what the classes were intended. The Rn conducting the training was a hippie-dippie freak who was still breast feeding her 5 year old son. She basically told everyone in the class that they could not work, could not have a social life, and strongly discouraged the use of pumps and the father bottle-feeding. When my husband asked how he was supposed to form a bond with the baby if he could basically never feed her, she said that he could just change diapers and that would be enough. HAHA! Don't get me wrong, this freak wasn't the main determining factor on my decision to not breast feed at all, but she solidified my decision. I did not breast feed either of my children. Best decision I've ever made. Both are happy, healthy, and beautiful... And have a very strong bond with both Mommy AND Daddy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. In case you were curious about the people who swear by breastfeeding:
    www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18829832
    and
    www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/may/09/breastfeeding-better-behaviour-children-research

    There is nothing wrong with any choice like that, but the first-time mother is in new territory when home from the hospital. People rely on history when tending to a crying child at 330 a.m.

    And your Tootsie Roll will be the Belle of the Ball, regardless your choice...but others on the teat will have success, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first NCBI cited article states the following: ways to enable direct feeding include on-site child care, telecommuting, keeping the infant at work, allowing the mother to leave work to go to the infant, and having the infant brought to the work site..... - Good luck with that. That's just NOT practical or possible for some.

      Second article: "Babies who are breastfed are less likely to have behavioural problems by the age of five than those given formula milk, according to new research." Precisely the sort of talk that still makes moms like the one in the article feel like shit.

      Delete
    2. OMG... are you serious? Yes, if you think your child will be better behaved at age 5 because he drank breastmilk as an infant, I think they put something in your breastmilk this morning.

      Delete
  6. Breastfeeding was historically much easier because women could watch other women doing it. They had other women around to help them. We are such a buttoned up, closeted society. Breastfeeding is incredibly difficult. No doubt. It doesn't help the cause that women don't talk about it, don't do it openly and don't feel comfortable enough with their bodies to do it comfortably. I applaud the woman talked about in the comments above for breastfeeding her child for so long. In many other countries breastfeeding after one year old is not only common practice, but it doesn't have the same negative connotation as here. That said, I breastfed my oldest until he was 2. He is 6 now and I have never been able to tell the difference between him and his sister who I was only able to breast feed for two weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, so glad you wrote this! I went through similar issues with my son and felt like the worst mother in the world when I switched to formula, but that was my bag of guilt, not his. He never looked accusingly into my eyes knowing that his lunch was not breast milk. He was perfectly happy on formula, and I was a happier and healthier mom because of it.

    ReplyDelete